About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Peer Review Process
The journal publishes full-length original research papers, short research communications and review articles.
The main topics are image analysis and stereology and related quantitative methods for geometric structures, texture and patterns, from mathematics and instrumentation to statistical and computational methods, both theoretical and applied.
Every manuscript is peer reviewed by two independent referees, experts in the field, that remain anonymous to the authors. We try to avoid any conflict of interests.
The referee is kindly asked to complete his/her review within 30 days, but not longer than two months.
A manuscript acceptable for publication in Image Analysis & Stereology should either present
- new theoretical results or the development of a new method or
- good and interesting applications of already known results or methods.
In any case, a clear presentation which is comprehensible also for non-specialists is compulsory for this interdisciplinary journal.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Guidelines for Referees
We are especially committed to the fair and impartial treatment of authors of manuscripts. Thus, we ask you to respond in a way that is constructive for the author, both in cases of acceptance and rejection. If you suggest revision, clearly point out what should be revised, and preferably also how. In the case of rejection, clearly articulate the reasons for rejection helping the author to write a better or more fitting paper next time.
To avoid undue delay in our response to our authors, we appreciate receiving the referees’ comments within five weeks. If you are interested in doing the review but cannot meet the deadline, or if you are unable to comment on the manuscript at all, please inform us as soon as possible. In the case of the latter, we would appreciate a suggestion for an alternative referee.
The following issues should be given particular attention:
- The relevance of the manuscript and its contribution to knowledge in the field.
- The quality of arguments, the soundness of methodology and reasoning, the quality of data, and the validity of analysis.
- Conciseness and comprehensiveness: would the manuscript benefit from shortening or deletion of any sections; have any relevant points not been considered?
- Any other comments that you feel are relevant concerning the manuscript.
Please check if the following points are adequately addressed in the manuscript:
- Is the article within the scope of the journal?
- Is the aim or hypothesis clearly stated?
- Are the materials and methods corresponding and clearly presented?
- Does the work constitute an original contribution?
- Is the quality of English language adequate?
- Are the interpretations and conclusions supported by the presented data?
- Are the main title and the abbreviated title accurate and informative?
- Is the abstract accurate and informative?
- Are the keywords appropriate?
- Does the introduction satisfactorily explain the context and aims of the work?
- Are the figures accurately described?
- Are the figures necessary?
- Are the figures clear and of good quality?
- Are the tables necessary?
- Are the equations accurate and informative?
- Are the units appropriate?
- Do the figure legends provide sufficient information?
- Is the interpretation of data acceptable?
- Are the references necessary?
- Are the references sufficient?
- Is the reference list following the instructions to the Authors?
In your conclusion, please indicate whether you recommend publication without revision (Accept), publication after minor textual revisions (Revisions Required), publication only after a major revision (Resubmit for Review), or rejection (Decline Submission).
Electronic and Paper version
Apart from potential supplementary material, the electronic version of papers is identical to the printed version. In the case of any discrepancies, the electronic version is treated as a reference.
Plagiarism Screening Policy
Plagiarism, a duplicate submission, and all other misconduct and unethical scientific behaviour are prohibited. This journal uses CrossCheck plagiarism screening system (iThenticate) to detect any possible plagiarism in the submissions.
Protection of Animals in Research
When performing experiments on animals or animal tissues, authors should seek approval from an institutional ethics committee and strictly follow the institutional and national guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. At the time of manuscript submission, authors should provide information on the study approval by an institutional ethical committee. We can only consider manuscripts reporting on studies on animals or animal tissues if ethical committee approval of the study can be documented.
The Journal is financially supported by: